Now that our studio is built we’re keen to share our knowledge about clay – how to turn your ideas into reality and to explore this amazing material. Our studio is well equiped with Leach style treadle wheels, lots of workspace and storage, fully stocked with glaze materials and a selection of moulds and other equipment for hand building.
For the 2024 Workshops we’re only taking bookings after the “Booking opens” date listed in the class details. To book, please click on the button that is below the workshop open for bookings. We work on a first in, first served order and full payment of the course fee is required to secure your place on the workshop. Please read the Terms and Conditions at the bottom of this page.
The tutor for all 2024 workshops will be Duncan Shearer
Glaze Technology – Beginner
Date: 4 May, 9am to 4pm
Booking opens: 9am, 15 April
This course covers glazing methods including pouring, dipping and spraying using specialised tools. We also explore layering using a variety of resist methods. Additionally we cover a basic overview of the materials that make up a glaze and what to look for in choosing a new glaze recipe. Please bring some of your own bisque ware to practice on.
Maximum 6 students, $210 (includes refreshments and lunch)
Glaze Technology – Intermediate
Date: 8 June, 9am to 4pm
Booking opens: 9am, 20 May
Glaze Technology – Advanced
Date: 6 July, 9am to 4pm
Booking opens: 9am, 17 June
Delve into the chemistry that sits behind the materials we use in glazes. This course is focussed on understanding Unity Molecular Formula and how that applies to your glazes. We look at the important ratios between different oxides and how these affect your glazes. We will be using various computer programmes and experiments to understand how the ratios alter glazes.
Maximum 6 students. $210 (includes refreshments and lunch).
Manipulating the Surface
Date: 26 October, 9am to 4pm
Booking opens: 9am, 7 October
A workshop that focuses on the clay skin, exploring a range of textures, slips and engobes that can enliven and transform your clay work. These techniques and technologies can be applied to a wide range of forms, including sculptures and thrown work. Throwing and hand-building skills are useful, bring your own tools, clay and other materials provided.
Maximum 6 students. $210 (includes refreshments and lunch)
Taming of the Kiln
Dates: 6 & 7 April, all day
Booking opens: 9am, 26 February
This workshop is an introduction to wood firing and the soda glazing process. Based around loading and firing of our wood kiln for a soda firing we will also be covering the principles at work in wood fired kilns. Work for the firing will need to be bisque fired and glazed with suitable stoneware glazes (firing to cone 11, 1300 degrees), loading on Saturday and firing on Sunday. The kiln will be unloaded on the following Wednesday. We have a limited range of glazes and flashing slips available, comprehensive notes will be emailed to you once your booking is confirmed.
Maximum 6 students, $420 (includes refreshments and lunches)
Mastering Wood Firing Effects
Dates: 28 & 29 September, all day
Booking opens: 9am, 19 August
A more advanced workshop to the earlier ‘Taming of the Kiln’ workshop that is focussed on you developing an individual approach and aesthetic to wood fired soda glazing. So you do need to have had some experience with wood firing and soda glaze. We will be exploring different slips, glazes and clays and firing pieces raw where necessary. We will be loading on Saturday, firing on Sunday with the unloading happening on the following Wednesday
Maximum 6 students. $420 (includes refreshments and lunches).
If you want more information or discuss whether you have enough experience with wood firing then please get in touch.
Subscribe to our newsletters
If you would like to receive advanced notice of our workshops and classes then fill in the form below to be added to our Mailchimp subscription.
- Rahu Road Pottery reserves the right to cancel a class if it fails to achieve a minimum number of enrolments, or for reasons outside its control. A full refund will be given if the course is cancelled by Rahu Road Pottery.
- If a student cancels their enrolment three or more weeks prior to course commencement then a full refund will be given. If a student cancels their enrolment within two weeks of course commencement then a refund will be given minus an administration fee of $50. If a student cancels their enrolment within one week or after the start date of the course then no refund will be given.
- A confirmed booking requires full payment of the tuition fee within a week of booking.
- Rahu Road Pottery reserves the right to discontinue tuition for any student deemed to be unsuitable for the course.
- Rahu Road Pottery reserves the right to change the tutor on advertised courses and replace that tutor with another suitable tutor without advertising those changes or refunding course fees.
- All students must comply with the Health and Safety policy of Rahu Road Pottery.