Now that our studio is built we’re keen to share our knowledge about clay – how to turn your ideas into reality and to explore this amazing material. For 2020 we are scheduling two weekend workshops and five one day workshops, we also hope to add to this schedule during the year. Our new studio is well equiped with Leach style treadle wheels, lots of workspace and storage, fully stocked with glaze materials and a selection of moulds and other equipment for hand building.
For the 2020 Workshops we’re only taking bookings after the date listed in the class details. To book, please use the contact form. We work on a first in, first served order and full payment of the course fee is required to secure your place on the workshop. Please read the Terms and Conditions at the bottom of the page.
Weekend Workshops for 2020
Date: 18 & 19 July, all day Booking opens 9am 17 February 2020This workshop is all about heat and how to control it. Based around loading and firing of our wood kiln for a soda firing we will also be covering the principles at work in wood fired kilns. Work for the firing will need to be bisque fired and glazed with suitable stoneware glazes (firing to cone 11), loading on Saturday and firing on Sunday. The kiln will be unloaded on the following Saturday. A limited range of glazes and flashing slips available. Maximum 6 people, $320 (includes refreshments and lunches)
Date: 26 & 27 September, all day
Booking opens 9am 13 July 2020
A more advanced workshop to the earlier ‘Taming of the Kiln’ workshop that is more focussed on you developing an individual approach and aesthetic to woodfired soda glazing. We will be exploring different slips, glazes and clays and firing pieces raw where necessary. Again we will be loading on Saturday, firing on Sunday with the unloading happening on the following Saturday. Maximum 6 people. $320 (includes refreshments and lunches)
Day Workshops for 2020
Glaze technology – intermediate
Date: 27 June, 9am to 4pm Booking opens 9am 18 May 2020This course is focussed on understanding what materials are used in making up a glaze, how to formulate a recipe and test it and how to take an existing glaze and make it your own by adapting it to your clay and style. Maximum 6 people. $160 (includes refreshments and lunch)
Glaze technology – advanced
Date: 22 August, 9am to 4pm
Booking opens 9am 20 July 2020
Delve into the chemistry that sits behind the materials we use in glazes. This course is focussed on understanding Unity Molecular Formula and how that applies to your glazes. We look at the important ratios between different oxides and how these affect your glazes. Maximum 6 people. $160 (includes refreshments and lunch)
Glaze technology – introduction
This workshop has been rescheduled from earlier in April
NEW Date: Saturday 12 September 2020, 9am to 4pm
Booking opens 9am, Monday 17 August 2020
This course covers glazing methods including tools, spraying and resists. We will also cover a basic overview of the materials that make up a glaze and what to look for in a new glaze recipe. Bring some of your own bisque ware to practice on. Maximum 4 people. $160 (includes refreshments and lunch)
Adding the details
Date: 24 October, 9am to 4pm
Booking opens 9am 21 September 2020
This workshop looks at how important the finishing details are in resolving your work. Handles, lugs, stamps, textures all play an important part in developing your style and can help the functionality of your work as well. Whether thrown or hand built this course will open your eyes to the huge wealth of detail out there waiting for you. Maximum of 4 people. $160 (includes refreshments and lunch)
Terms and Conditions
- Rahu Road Pottery reserves the right to cancel a class if it fails to achieve a minimum number of enrolments, or for reasons outside its control. A full refund will be given if the course is cancelled by Rahu Road Pottery.
- If a student cancels their enrolment three or more weeks prior to course commencement then a full refund will be given. If a student cancels their enrolment within two week of course commencement then a refund will be given minus an administration fee of $60. If a student cancels their enrolment within one week or after the start date of the course then no refund will be given.
- A confirmed booking requires full payment of the tuition fee.
- Rahu Road Pottery reserves the right to discontinue tuition for any student deemed to be unsuitable for the course.
- Rahu Road Pottery reserves the right to change the tutor on advertised courses and replace that tutor with another suitable tutor without advertising those changes or refunding course fees.
- All students must comply with the Health and Safety policy of Rahu Road Pottery